Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Slainte

Another interest of mine is Whisky, I can't be sure when it became interesting, but it definitely got serious when I attended my first Johnnie Walker Black Label Journey. I was fascinated by the variety and depth of the single malts that go into the blend. Over years, I had dabbled with some good drops coming to love Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Talisker as my regulars. Slowly trying each of these single malts, I had thought I had it all covered. That was until I was introduced to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society.

Following introduction, it was in quick order to organise a tasting. You may have seen or been to the tutored tasting on 6 May, which introduced a whole new level of whisky. These beasts are single cask, single malts from all the great distilleries that you know and love from their commercial bottling range. We were lucky to be shown 4 of these rare bottlings, from: Clynelish 7yo, Glen Grant 13yo, Highland Park 12yo (commercial) & 26yo, and Laphroaig 9yo.

For mine sample were of great diversity, showing the range and depth of whisky but if I may choose two, I would have to say the 26yo Highland Park stood out for the sort of complexity that comes with such age. Only 146 bottles ever made, Shiver Me Timbers, showed the reason that these bottlings are so very special. My own pick, reflective of my own whisky palate, What a magnificent & handsome nose, was a peat monster. Great industrial nose, cigars and just great all-round drop. If you are lucky, you may one-day get a dram of this.

No comments: